By Joe D’Amodio | email@example.com
Staten Island Advance | silive.com | Click Here for the Full Story
They are oiling up the lanes and getting the rental shoes ready at the borough’s two bowling centers.
After a nearly five-month stoppage of play because of the coronavirus pandemic, Showplace Entertainment Center and Rab’s Country Lanes will re-open for business on Monday. Hundreds of Island bowlers, who have been shut down since mid-March, are expected to show up for open bowling (non-league sessions).
“We’re pretty excited and are looking forward to starting a new season,” said Showplace manager Vinny D’Ambrosio III.
“We got the word … and we’re very excited,” said Rab’s Country Lanes proprietor Frank Wilkinson. “While we would have loved some additional notice, we will be ready to roll in the coming week.”
Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the news Friday afternoon, but there will be plenty of social-distancing measures in place.
For starters, bowling centers may only run at 50% maximum occupancy. Plus, only every other lane inside the establishment can be utilized at any given time and patrons must stay with their party at their designated lane at all times.
“I don’t disagree with the 50% capacity,” said D’Ambrosio, who says the Travis center will open its doors Monday morning. “You have to start somewhere. Of course, safety is our main concern. We’ll open up and play it by ear.”
No food or alcohol will be served inside the two centers. Food can be served outside if there is outside dining.
Patrons must wear face coverings.
In addition, bowling alleys must also implement cleaning and disinfecting protocols specific to the use of sharing bowling balls and shoes.
That won’t be a problem for management the Island’s two centers, who last month told the Advance they have already put most of those protocols in place.
Wilkinson says he planning a soft re-opening Monday and Tuesday, before he goes full-steam ahead as they get set for the new bowling season which starts the first week of September. The previous season was cut short by about 10 weeks because of the pandemic and there were no summer leagues as bowling centers remained closed.
“Our team will be working diligently over the weekend to prepare for our re-opening. We will formally announce our plans via our website, bowlatrabs.com and social media as we put all the pieces together in the coming days that will also include availability, hours of operation, how to reserve lanes, and expectations upon arrival,” said Wilkinson. “We’re not sure what to expect. We know people can’t wait to be out and about doing their thing and using us as their outlet to get away from everyday life and know we will be prepared. We also know that there are many people who are still hesitant to go out in public.”
“Some people will come (to bowl) and we will be happy to service them,” said D’Ambrosio of the re-opening at Showplace. “We will come in Monday morning and get everything set up and see how it goes.”